Diablo Valley School is a Sudbury model school in Contra Costa County, California. Our structure is based on the philosophy that young people are naturally engaged in the job of becoming capable adults. Our school is uniquely designed for learning how to become a strong, independent, articulate, responsible adult ready to thrive in today's changing world.
- Founded: 1997
- Ages Served: Students ages 5 to 19 can attend.
- School Year: September - June. Closed for winter break, spring break, and major holidays.
- School Hours: We are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 5:00.
- Attendance Requirement: Minimum of four hours per day (three hours for kindergarten age students).
- Governance: Rules for day-to-day life at the school are made by School Meeting, where each student and staff member has one vote. All students serve periodic terms on the Judicial Committee, which deals with rule violations.
- Admissions: Applications for admission are accepted year-round. After completing the admissions process, students can enroll any time during the school year, provided space is available.
- Tuition: We offer sibling discounts, monthly payment plans, and a needs-based tuition assistance program. See tuition.
- Parent Involvement: Parents, along with students and staff, comprise the Assembly which votes on major decisions such as annual budget, tuition policies, and candidates for graduation. Parents are welcome to volunteer their time and talents at the school through our formal volunteer program.